Tuesday, April 24, 2012

HATS OFF TO THE SENSITIVES!

If I had a dollar for every time someone told me I was being 'too sensitive' I'd be rich!  Well I AM rich in so many ways but you get my drift ;-)

This subject came up in two conversations the other day so I'm writing about it today!  Are you super sensitive too?  Some people call us 'over' sensitive and some people call us empaths, whatever you call us just don't call us late for dinner (or our feelings will be hurt)!   All kidding aside, it's taken me years to understand that my 'sensitivity' is a gift.  It's my intuition.  It's my inner GPS.  If you are super sensitive too, then that is your gift, your intuition, your inner GPS.  Not all people 'feel' their way through life.  Some 'see' their way, some 'know' their way, and some 'hear' their way.  We're all different in how we move through life.  I am a 'feeler' and a 'knower' first and foremost.  I've learned to trust my feelings and not talk myself out of them which is what we 'sensitives' often try to do.  The fact is, you can't put logic to a feeling, you can only feel it.  Own it, because it's your intuition.

It can be hard for sensitives to understand our own sensitivity.  If we're around someone and we feel uneasy, it's best to learn to honor that we're picking up on their energy and not try to talk ourselves out of that feeling (which we will do because we sometimes think it's not 'nice' to feel that way!).  It's how you feel.  Period.  The thing that's taken me the longest time to learn, is to decipher my feelings from the feelings of others!  I've walked around on eggshells most of my life thinking everyone is like me in that way, but they're not.  We're like human sponges soaking up all kinds of energy from the outer world.  Our feelings are easily hurt by words and actions that not-so-sensitive people would find hard to believe, and violence and screaming literally causes us distress.  We sometimes feel things before they happen, and oftentimes are a mess during times of world chaos such as an earthquake or other events that affect the masses.

When I've been around certain people I've experienced myself feeling competitive and I've come to realize those feelings come up in me as a result of the other person's competitive energy, when I actually thought initially  it was some buried competitive issue I was being made aware of so I could work on it!  I've also experienced feeling really resistant or defensive around some people too, and as I work through my own self awareness process, I've come to understand that 'feeling' in me was surfacing as a result of the energy the other person was bringing to the room. They bring competitive, it has me feeling competitive (which is not one of my strong traits).  They bring a bullying energy, it has me feeling defensive.  They bring an angry energy, it has me feeling attacked.  It's SO cool to figure this stuff OUT!!


What I've observed in myself and other sensitives, is that as a result of this elevated sense of feeling, we unconsciously build barriers around us as a form of protection.  We can shut down emotionally and become 'hardened' which appears from the outside to be tough and strong, when it is really a defense mechanism so we don't get hurt, kinda like how a porcupine shoots quills or a skunk releases a foul odor.  They don't do it to be mean, they do it to protect their vulnerable selves!  Many sensitives tend to have weight issues as well, which is our bodies literally building layers of protection.  Some sensitives emotionally eat, which explains the weight gain, and some can find it frustrating with no 'logical' explanation for carrying extra weight despite eating healthy and exercising!


The empowerment comes from learning to work with our sensitivity.  First, by being aware of ourselves and really tapping into our feeling place.  By doing this, eventually we come to understand when we are experiencing our own 'stuff' and when we are picking up on the energy of others.  It's not about analyzing who's stuff it is, it's more about determining whether it's ours or whether it's someone else's and taking the steps to clear.  When it's ours, we own it and work through our own way of processing whatever we're going through.  When it's someone else's, we can simply say 'hey that's not mine' and clear ourselves of the invading energy.


Here are some things that work for me.  *I carry stones/crystals that absorb negative energy.  Rainbow obsidian is a constant companion of mine, regular obsidian works as well as do other black stones.  These stones act like magnets that absorb negative energy but they have to be cleared often.  I clear mine using intention and energy through my hands, and also clear and charge them the night before the full moon.  You can also put them on the ground and Mother Earth will clear them, and some people use sea salt.  Your intuition will lead you as always, there's no right or wrong way to do things as everything always comes down to intention.  **I do a clearing and shielding meditation daily which is more of a preventative measure these days and has become as much a part of my daily routine as brushing my teeth.  You can find guided meditations on youtube if you have trouble meditating on your own, which I sometimes do. Or you can take a few minutes and do like I do, close your eyes and do some deep breathing, visualizing bright light coming into your body on the inhale.  As the light comes in, I visualize it pushing the dark, lower energy to the outside of my body, and on the exhale that lower energy being released or sent back to where it came from. When I'm finished the deep breathing, I visualize climbing into a protective bubble where positive energy can penetrate but negative energy is repelled!  ***Carrying sea salt, or taking sea salt baths is also another way to clear our energy field.  ****Laying down on Mother Earth and asking her to take the lower energies from you, she does this for us because she knows we are here to use our lives to help her.....our tree friends will also help us in the same way.  It's important to mention that all these practices are done from a place of love not fear.


The more we become self aware and learn to manage our sensitive energy, we find ourselves being more open and slowly letting go of the defense mechanisms we've put in place to protect our sensitive selves!  The energy we once used to protect ourselves is then used in a more productive and nurturing way.  The most important thing for sensitives to remember, is that our sensitivity is a powerful gift.  So the next time someone tells you you're being 'too sensitive'....just smile and say thank you :)



No comments:

Post a Comment